• Page:

TOPIC: Sturgeon Bay classic show

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133406

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Here are some pictures, not all. Beautiful sunny day temps in the mid 70's. Dr. Go had his 13' Wilson there, untouched and he had more interest paid attention to that than most of the finished boats. People are beginning to appreciate the glass boats more and the style they had. LStriton (Mark) had his shiny Mustang there and also got lots of attention.
For Bill Anderson....our friend Larry set the bar pretty high for you with his flathead powered racing shell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: madbohunk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133425

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
So everyone knows just how many people show up for this boat show.
Attachments:

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133427

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Awesome weekend and awesome event. Thanks for talking us into going. My wife and I had a great time with you and LStriten's family. Such great people and amazing boats all around... including amphicar AND the Sikaflex challenge boats. So much to see and do there. It is already on the calendar for next year! Hope more Glassic boats can join. I would post pictures, but am afraid they would be up side down.

Dr.Go!

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133428

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
having some fun on the way home from the show. That is my wife airing up the spare and changing the tire. What an amazing gearhead I married! ... She knows the Torque specs, so I was the "go fer" . She got us home safely, so putting away the work in progress (I know...where is the progress you say)...some day.
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133432

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
What happened?
Glad you all had a good time and the weather was super.
So much interest in the Wilson....almost unbelievable.
What's it going to take to get more participants from this group. All boats are welcome no matter what material or condition.
Andreas should be there, lots of Thomson, Lyman, Cruiser.

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133436

Looks like a good time.

Doc, what's your tow vehicle? The rear quarter window made me thing Fairmont but the front's wrong. The tricolor trim under the window makes me think Thunderbird?

EDIT: Ah, I saw Triton's post below. Cordoba. Makes sense, I was thinking the front end looked like a Mopar design.

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133437

Glad you made it home! Hopefully not too much of a problem with the tire on the Cordoba. Good thing you had a qualified technician there to take care of things for you!!

Had a lot of fun at the event and it was good to get the kids there with their boat. Now I know what to shoot for as I work to finish the restoration on the Mustang and start on the Triton and GT-150! Lots of beautiful boats to look at, and I was parked right next to the Peoples Choice winner!!! Great job Cal!!

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133444

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Mark, also received a nice wood and brass plaque at the awards ceremony.
Attachments:

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133446

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The Wilson got attention because I was parked on the port side of the People's choice award. Congratulations on that. Even as I hooked up, a woman said I just love the color... reminds me of riding in my uncle's 57 chevy. I heard at least 10 people talk about loving the color. Regarding the tire - it had slight cupping when last rotated from front but very slight... just enough to hear that light rhythm. Then in an instant, my wife and I glanced at each other after we both were already checking mirrors. The much more aggressive noise and vibration like reaching a harmonic. As I checked for no traffic behind, I hit flashers, brakes, and quickly pulled to shoulder. No quick visual... so I got lucky and took the exit 100 yards up. Happened to be Mopar dealer right there with a nice flat parking lot and shade from the building. Almost felt like when a cord breaks, but didn't check as it was late. That was the first time the original spare was pulled from the trunk in 36 years. All is good. The Cordoba is a "LS" sport model made 3 years. Had to order it to upgrade to a 318 from a slant 6. I have towed over 25,000 miles with it. 2,000 pound snowmobile trailer, but mostly 1,400-1,800 pound boat combos. Most never guess the car...same choices you mention plus ford LTDII or even cutlass. Most never saw the sport model. It was last use of the red, white, blue striped, cross grill package used on the Chrysler 300's of the past. Notice now the Dodge line took the cross grill. I bought it new when I was 20 and now am 56. Simple car that works, can tow a boat, and fits a guy 6'4" back when mini cars didn't fit.

Dr.Go!

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133461

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cal chatting with one of the "million" spectators that loved his "Rocket" Shell Lake boat and they really loved the color (Kudos for Cal...people sure asked him a lot of questions and "Fiberglassics" was always in the conversation. Picture of us 3 "fiberglassics" members with the DCMM organizer Bill Freyman ... a big thank you to him and his whole group for providing a great show and common area for the 4 "Fiberglassics" Member's (and Member's kids) boats. Last picture of 3 of them (that blue and silver metallic Marlin with 135 Tower is hiding in the background...but sure looked fast on the trailer)! Those low slung Sidewinder style windshields are crazy swept back and low! 2 super nice days of sun water, food, boats and GREAT new friends!!! Already planning to attend next year. Sure would be great to double our presence. Nice outboard aluminum Crestliner (with fins...is that a jetstreak?) and lots of wooden outboards and even a twin rig outboard woody. Plenty of amazing wood inboards. One Glen-L hand built center console with 200hp outboard. Hand built sail boats, canoes, kayaks and an unforgettable 3 home made hydro inboard with custom trailer you could look at all day. Tour of the almost 100 year old tug was amazing... Everything is right there. I am watching for when the DCMM posts some of their own pictures as I saw many "real" photographers roaming around. Thanks to all and for all of those who gave me such great advice on my restoration project! (Dang - pictures were flipped again (even after sending from I-phone to computer first)...I will work on this a bit and try again if I an figure this out. Sorry. (ok - here is one more try with pictures)
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133464

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Glad everything worked out. Nice to have another gearhead in the front. Sounds like a ply separation.
Sealed the deal this morning, went back to SB and closed. Happy second day as the saying goes. Now I have to PM shake and see what he has in inventory. Maybe I could talk you into a trip west sometime to help me decide.

Sturgeon Bay classic show 6 years 8 months ago #133465

Glad I ran you down after talking to them and it ended up being a done deal. Its a good feeling to send your project to a good home, and there is a chance that you will see it back at the show in the future since it will be living in town!

Talk to you guys soon...

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7059 guests and no members online