TOPIC: Tomahawk, Wisconsin

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 9 months ago #132506

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Dr. Go.
Mark, so far you seem to be the go-to guy for info on this topic. I went to the Tomahawk website and didn't find anything about the annual program. Is there a link somewhere? I can only make it a one day trip, probably have to leave home around 5:30am. What would be the best day to go? Seriously want to go to at least one venue this season without getting rained out.
Drove through your area this weekend on the way to upper MN. couldn't see too much though, raining so hard the wipers on the RV had a hard time keeping up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 9 months ago #132509

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
For me, first choice is Thursday and second choice is Friday. It is Wednesday through Saturday. Not all vendors may be there yet Wednesday ( but most are there). Things sell off quickly first few days, so sooner makes chances better to find the oddball stuff. I found the 1 and only steering wheel that was correct for my 1958 which totally made my day. If you have an outboard to sell, you should bring it and talk to people in hockey building. I will get the link posted here later today. I plan on looking for several items: 1955 evinrude decals for 15hp and tank to freshen up Dad's motor. 20hp merc throttle for 1978 (these shove cables opposite of the common controls...I should have never sold them with my boat when I was 19...at least kept my motor. Be ready for lots of odds and ends. I find and buy more things NOT on my list, than on it. I get easily distracted. I think prices are fair and people are great! Friday is still pretty good day, but that special item might already be sold. Show is still full. I have stopped going Saturday for myself because I want more shopping selection. That was the last place I shared a conversation with Gene Gene. Sure enjoyed that moment and will miss him. Life is short, so let's play anything boating while we can! More later.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 9 months ago #132510

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
aomci.org ...then look at the sidebar under "everybody " and click "upcoming events ". Scroll down on that page until you come to Tomahawk Nationals in early August. As you read all of that, there will also be a link to the Nortwoods Chapter page that has other contact info and map. Maybe Kim and I can plan the same day? She was a car gearhead, and she is taking to the boating thing too...lucky me! Extra eyes always help find that needle in a haystack. Cash is king as they say at events like this. Just makes it easier for vendors.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 9 months ago #132523

I checked the site and details are lacking. I have heard of a timed race that they run with skills you have to complete. I would like to see this and maybe participate but I can't figure out when or if it is a thing. Anyone know? I might have to email organizer to see if they have a more detail schedule they can share.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 9 months ago #132524

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I agree. I mailed the organizers and got a reply.
If I want to show my boat I have to be a "registered member" and if I want to sell anything you also have to be a "registered member". I answered back that I cannot justify my driving 400 miles and pay $49.+ for the privilege of showing a boat. Cancelling my plans for that event and looking forward to the Door County show the following weekend. For $20 I can spend three days enjoying a full venue, parts flea market, a main street entertainment district, food and beer tents, free launch and cruise and if lucky an award plus free entrance/tours of the Maritime Museum and an antique restored lake tug boat, not to mention the hilarious build your own boat and float it contest.
Being from a "tourist" dependent community I understand there are only so many months you have to support you community but I think the Tomahawk event is taking advantage of membership to fill their coffers other than the public who want to attend the show.
It's just a promotion to haul in some bucks and up their membership...
Sorry if I offend anyone but it's the way it comes across to me. Let the discussion begin...

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 9 months ago #132525

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I am a member,but I think the city gets a cut of the money for that show, what there is there,it is the biggest swap meet that is all boat related that I go to.I will guess at least 100 swappers.I would hate to guess how many outboards are on the grounds inside and out.I have been going since 2006,wouldnt miss it,as far as reg you get a very nice magazine several times a year,and they have a lot of shows that are scattered around the area, the money the club gets is very cheap entertainment if you look at big picture.there is a lot in your area that you are missing,,just my opinion,I would guess I go to 8 to 10 a year,I guess every body is different and has opinions,there are crusin every week that has a party.,,just my opinion Bill

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 9 months ago #132526

I bring my boat but I don't "show" it. I would rather have it to cruise around anyway and it is a user not a show boat. I have signed up as a aomci member so i saw some value in that. I don't really sell anything but maybe some day I should.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 9 months ago #132528

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I do see people bringing boats just to take a ride on the waterway. The landing is right at the entrance. I see many classic boats just parked along the sandy grassy shore that are not part of the official building show boat display, but sure get plenty of lookers. Don't know the actual boating class "running events " but they are great to just randomly view a run or 2 as you shop motors and parts. The town Dairy Queen even has a nice dock and Riverfront area for a quick treat that is next to business 51 bridge like a half mile east on same side of river. Always seems to have calm water around. Even if your boat is parked near the launch ready to go and simply sitting on it's trailer, it is like being part of the show. I look at runners as much as show boats. The sheer number of outboards for sale is like a show in itself, so for me, all is free until I buy something. Great vendors/people to share and learn from. Bought hardware, perfect match steering wheel, 10 gallon built in gas tank, an outboard power trim unit and a tach for just over 100 bucks. Those trim units sell for 300 plus all day on e- bay or Craig's list. Lots of value and entertainment there. I will make you a deal Cal - if we go the same day, I will buy you lunch and put $15 towards your registration if you want it inside the building for a day. If you keep it hooked up and in the launch parking lot, then the deal is lunch on me. You should see the show at least once and then decide if you ever want to come back. Just my 2 cents.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132581

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
It is a great meet with great people!

I will be there probably Monday evening and staying for the week.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132742

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Time to make my shopping list. Still haven't decided on Thursday afternoon/evening or Friday. Still have to make up for missing work...but worth it!

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132761

I plan to be there a couple of the days. Not sure when yet or with what boat but if you see my boat say hi. They are distinct. Just not pretty. Yet.

File Attachment:

File Name:
File Size: 0 KB

File Attachment:

File Name:
File Size: 0 KB

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132765

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice! I will keep an eye out. Now I am thinking Thursday afternoon until late. I be one of the many with short white beard and half white hair. If it is sunny I ware a brimmed hat. Maybe it will help that I am 6'-4" and sometimes stick out unless I am standing next to a tall person. My shopping list is pretty big for small items, so if I can't find you, I will be roaming the used parts vendors.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132883

I'll be there! My second trip. Coming in on Monday night after an auction in WI. Be there all week. Picking up a boat I bought up in WI. Wouldn't miss it for the world now that I have gone. If you can't find it there you aren't looking. Just my opinion! I'll be looking for VinTin & more new friends.

Dan in TN

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132887

Is this something anybody can come see and maybe buy some stuff? I live close...

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132888

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes. Free admission to the general public just park and walk on through. Only cost to people who display. Food available on site. Event takes place at Sara Park only a few blocks west of downtown town. And about a block north of their east/west down town main drag. If I remember correctly, when you turn of Hwy 39 and turn west on 86...keep heading west and it dead ends at the park. The pavement on the north side was an old airstrip. Welcome to parts heaven and lots of experts to help you! Wednesday through Saturday. Go early if parts shopping...more to choose from.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132889

Awesome, thank you. I have off the first day. Maybe I'll bring my boat for S&Gs too. Haven't seen another Tomahawk Spirit yet.
Hoping to find some Tomahawk and Mercury decals.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132891

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John Macintosh will have the Merc decals. He is waterside of the road near the east end usually. I bought some a year ago plus a cool old Mercury shirt and a compression gauge. Not sure about the boat decals emblem but this would be the place to look. Some people just enjoy putting a boat in at the landing that is right there and cruising a bit. The Dairy Queen has a nice dock and walk up just down the east shore past the train bridge .

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132892

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
There will be a man and wife that sell nothing but decals,usually on river side of road, a lot of people sell engine for the old motors but she will probable have tomahawk boats with her,, Bill

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132894

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have never made it on a Wednesday. Is Wednesday a better day to find parts than Thursday? Wasn't sure if everyone was there in full swing yet. If I only get one day, I want my best odds at finding parts.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132902

It's hard to say what is the best day? Early for selection on rare stuff, but later in the week for best deals? Guys don't want to take it home! I was coming in on Sunday night 7/30, but have an auction on 7/31 now so won't be there till late afternoon Monday. Seems like it's getting to be a contest as to who can get there first. When you drive from TN or FL you want to make it last. I am meeting someone to get an old boat. Got to get it in shape (trailer wise) to take it home. Im retired so just like to hang out and make the deals. Kind of hard to see it all in one day? Depends on what you are looking for. Lots of old engine parts.

Dan in TN

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132904

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks. Wish I had 2 days. I will just have to pick a day and give it my best power shopping. Lots of little things on my list. Have a great show and good luck with the the boat pickup. Have a great show. Would love to stop by and meet you but wouldn't know how to locate you unless you had a boat or booth I would recognize. Safe travels!

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132909

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark,, if you want to use my space,my trailer is easy to find, I ll post a pic tomorrow,,im just pass middle road on airstrip on soccer field side,i thought I had pic but will ,I'm there mon leaving fri morn for traverse city show Bill

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132911

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Bill. I will stop by and see you. Not sure if Wednesday or Thursday yet.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #132915

I got one for you Bill.
Attachments:

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #133062

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks like the weather will be cooperating for the show. Take many pictures to share.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 8 months ago #133064

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I haven't checked weather that far out yet. They tend to get my hopes up and then 3 days later, the forecast flips for me. Thinking I will go a week from today depending on last minute weather reports. Darn auto repairs are doing their best to cut into my parts budget lol. I may have to prioritize my parts list, but that is no fun. More fun buying things not even on a list that you discover and then think...I will create a use for that on my project.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133108

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Count down to show time! We will be there Friday, bringing up some goods to deliver to someone local and browsing thru the vendors and the show. Looks like party cloudy weather with the rain being over early in the week.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133140

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
While you guys are perusing the grounds and looking for bargains please take some pics to share with all of us.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133141

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good idea Cal. Thanks for the reminder.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133158

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
are we having fun yet? I will try another post with a video if I can figure it out.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133159

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
More Tomahawk stuff.
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133160

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
... and so much more!
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133161

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Not sure if these I phone videos will work. Guess I don't know what I am doing. Sorry. Hydro and runabout were tearing it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr_Frankenmerc, 63 Sabre

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133165

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the pics. Those things require noise cancelling ear plugs. Hope the weather holds out for the weekend.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133237

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Anyone take some pictures of the show that you can share?

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133244

Ok now my neck hurts!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133247

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here are a couple more. Sorry if I repeat something.
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133248

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
If someone can teach me how to upload an I - phone video, I have a couple of a hydro and runabout.

Dr.Go!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133250

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We were at Tomahawk from Monday morning until Thursday afternoon. Picked up this Alumacraft Merrie 16 on the way there. Had a great time. 2,200 miles round trip. Photo by Tom.

Attachments:

Tomahawk, Wisconsin 6 years 7 months ago #133256

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Waterwings wrote: Ok now my neck hurts!!!!!!!!!

Bob

I thought it was just me. Have to keep turning the laptop upside down.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)