Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The dreaded HOOK is bumming me out

The dreaded HOOK is bumming me out 6 years 10 months ago #132350

I built a dandy Merc MK78A and hung it on the back of my ancient (1957) Cutter Jet. It runs great, but Plows the bow over 20 mph. Research suggested a possible hook in the hull acting like a huge trim tab. Well, Yep. I got one of those. Is my boat doomed, or is there a practical repair? I can support the boat off the trailer & put in a pile of sand bags I s'pose, but then what? I hate the idea of having to chainsaw this old girl into dumpster-size pieces...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The dreaded HOOK is bumming me out 6 years 10 months ago #132351

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I've never seen one that bad. If you google "how to fix a hook in a boat hull" there are quite a few articles. This just being one.
Good luck.
www.boatdesign.net/threads/how-do-you-fix-a-hook-in-the-back-end-of-your-boat.26697/

The dreaded HOOK is bumming me out 6 years 10 months ago #132368

I will give it a shot here. I repaired a Herters Flying Fish once that had a very bad hook also.
So I ground and cleaned up the inside. Then traced the arch or bottom of the transom on two by fours I made four of these then screwed some quarter inch plywood to that to get the right shape. Now get every thing ready. To lay glass. On the inside I cut glass about the size of the plywood. First layer cloth then heavy roving then heavy mat then another layer of heavy roving Heavy mat then over lapped the whole works with cloth. Lay this all one layer at a time then set your wood template on the wet glass and start stacking as much weight on it as it takes to get the hook out (you might do a test before you lay the glass to see how much weight it will take. It took a lot of weight for me but I just layer her on. ) yes that is a hydraulic jack I cut a two by and screwed to the sides and put as much pressure on this as it would take.
Forgot one step before you set the wood on cover the glass with wax paper or some plastic or the wood may be very hard to remove.
D
Attachments:

The dreaded HOOK is bumming me out 6 years 10 months ago #132369

Terriffic Mr Herter! I had thoughts of glassing in a couple U shaped wood arches with a ton of weight to hold them in position. I like your idea better. Big question; did it work?!
Shea

The dreaded HOOK is bumming me out 6 years 10 months ago #132370

Yes it did work.
But do not forget some boats are built with a little hook in the bottom from the factory.

D

The dreaded HOOK is bumming me out 6 years 10 months ago #132436

I had an 58 MFG that had a terrible one because of a warped internal wooden keel. I took all out of the boat and supported it at the back with a new transom support on the trailer. I backed the rollers down enough to make a straight line front to back. I soaked it in water over a period of time and let the weight of the water straighten it. After the weight of an outboard was supported and it dried out it went away.
Attachments:

The dreaded HOOK is bumming me out 6 years 10 months ago #132446

I have found that hooks can be removed from hulls with weight and heat. Hot ( near boiling ) water is very effective. I have also found that suspending a hooked hull will allow a hook to be reversed, that is, if the hull is completely gutted of flooring and stringers. Living where the Summer temp is often over 100 degrees F helps too.

If the hook can be removed, the hull must be reinforced in a was as to prevent the problem from recocuring again. At minimum, the floor should be removed, and an inspection done, to see why the boat has the problem.

Here is a funny read, from about 5 ot 6 years ago. It is regarding a Wards Sea King I took the hook out of using weight and hot water.

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/main-forum/61634-100-dollar-boat.html#61815

Bruce G

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)