Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: It's all about the wood, door that is.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 11 months ago #131915

Hello all, I have a '59 seafair sedan I fully restored, all but the cubby door. I have determined from photos that I have the original split dutch door. But it's been damaged at the hinge location, I can fix it if I can match the wood. Does anybody know what wood was used on a '59 glasspar seafair sedan?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 11 months ago #131921

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Beautiful job on the restoration. Looks really great. Is the door damaged or the frame. Anything that can be repaired with epoxy fillers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sedanman

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131923

From the looks of the wood in the picture, it looks like Mahogany. Take some pics of the damaged area and we can come up with a plan.

Bob

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131926

thanks Bob I'll get some Pics posted here today. Roy

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131927

we thought mahogany, also thought maybe Teak the wood has no weight to it.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131928

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167

sedanman wrote: we thought mahogany, also thought maybe Teak the wood has no weight to it.

Teak is a very heavy and dense wood and hardly ever rots. Maybe it's a teak veneer over fir. Waiting for some close-ups.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131935

Yep Teak heavy, Mahogany light, well lighter and very light if dried out over time. The planks on my resorter are very very light however they're over 60 years old and were outside at some point.

Bob

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131937

Hi Bob here our those pics of the damage. my thought was rip the bad section off from top to bottom. Then dowel pin and glue new piece on. That's where matching the wood comes in.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131939

Sedanman:

We also have a "Glasspar Seafair Sedan" and ours is a 1960. Glasspar used Honduran Mahogany on all their cabin doors as well as much of the trim boards. Our cabin door is just like yours, hinged in the middle so it can fold down. Our original cabin door was in real good shape when we got the boat, but we had to replace some of the other mahogany boards and were able to find a company where we live that had the mahogany needed.

I hope that helps you some.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131948

Roy,
Yep it's Mahogany and your idea may be easier said than done. Those are raised panel doors that were made with a rail and stile bit and the inner panel "floats" inside the door basically. You could still rip just to the edge of where the wood splintered off and glue a new piece on, provided you can match up the grain as close as possible. Forgive me if that's what you meant in the first place. lol This may be the easiest way to go as you probably won't get that rail off the side easily and unless you have the right router bit for the profile on the rails and styles you won't be able to match.

So cut it off up to the splinter and glue on the new thin piece that replace it. You won't be able to dowel it since that piece won't be very thick. Heck you won't even be able to biscuit it either. You'll just have to clamp it lined up just right. Hopefully you have some bar clamps or even some pipe clamps so you can lay the panel on the pipes to keep it flat and clamp the piece to the panel. Not sure how much wood working background you have and what you have for tools.

From the color of the outer wood surface it almost looks like it was bleached as the wood should look like what's exposed from the splinter. Of course that could just be from the sun bleaching it over time since it may not have had a good UV protective varnish on it.

Bob

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131951

Thanks Bob, yes, right to the edge of the splinter, and you're right the door is thin but maybe two or three small diameter stainless or aluminum pins instead of dowels. Something to help hold the 58 year old door together. LOL Thank you for your help on this. I'll let you know how it comes out. Roy.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131952

1960RedG-3 wrote: Sedanman:

We also have a "Glasspar Seafair Sedan" and ours is a 1960. Glasspar used Honduran Mahogany on all their cabin doors as well as much of the trim boards. Our cabin door is just like yours, hinged in the middle so it can fold down. Our original cabin door was in real good shape when we got the boat, but we had to replace some of the other mahogany boards and were able to find a company where we live that had the mahogany needed.

I hope that helps you some.

Thank you for the information, I live in a smaller town unfortunately I have to order almost everything I need online. But it is sure nice to live away from the big city.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131957

Sedanman:

I agree with Bob on your cabin door looking like it has been "bleached" or something. I have attached a couple of pictures of our original cabin door on our 1960 Seafair Sedan. The pictures were taken after I had sanded it down and put on about 5-6 coats of varnish. As you will see the color on our door is alot different than yours.

Attachments:

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131965

The wood looks nice, and it is a bit darker than mine. But she is a year older, the old girl is getting a little grey. Thanks for all the help gentlemen. Roy.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131966

No problem Roy. As far as pins go you really don't need them for the little bit you're shaving off. If you use the Titebond III and clamp it well it should hold together just fine with no issues and be water resistant.

Bob

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #131976

Titebond lll i'll pick some up.

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #132107

Not just any mahogany. Clearly Philipine/Luan Mahogany. I am a big fan of using West System epoxy with either the 403 or 404 thickener to make glue. You can color it with gelcoat pigments, too.
Larry

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #132109

Not fan of doing that unless you're repairing a hull or plan on painting it since the epoxy won't blend with stain. you'll still have a definite line, where if you use an actual glue and match the grain, once clamped and glue dries you won't really see the line.

Bob

It's all about the wood, door that is. 6 years 10 months ago #132171

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Might as well jump in here...the paneling is sapele. The frame looks to be Philippine mahogany, which is basically unavailable these days and why I use African mahogany for everything. Of course, you could use Honduran (genuine) mahogany...if you can find it and choose to afford it.

I wouldn't even attempt to match the type/color/grain. I'd remake both top and bottom frames using the old pieces for patterns. That bulkhead and door is the showpiece of the interior. Replacing both frames is more work and more wood but you'll be happier accepting complements for the finished job than apologizing for it.

P.S. Make all 8 pieces from the same plank.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7917 guests and 2 members online