Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1971 Larson 165 Shark battery location

1971 Larson 165 Shark battery location 6 years 11 months ago #131484

Hi, I am working on our 1971 Larson 165 Shark. I have to buy a battery for it. The cables run under the stern seat, but that's where the onboard fuel tank is located, so I'm thinking that's a bad spot to put the battery. Does anyone know where it is supposed to go?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1971 Larson 165 Shark battery location 6 years 11 months ago #131491

pictures always help. btw welcome aboard.

1971 Larson 165 Shark battery location 6 years 11 months ago #131500

Thank-you, mate! Good point! Here are some pictures...
Attachments:

1971 Larson 165 Shark battery location 6 years 11 months ago #131501

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I think the battery would be just fine in that area if you get the proper plastic case and anchored it down with the supplied straps and cover.
A word of caution though. Check that gas tank especially look inside with a flashlight or something. Those steel tanks have a real tenancy to rust and plug up your fuel lines and filters....don't ask how I know.

1971 Larson 165 Shark battery location 6 years 11 months ago #131530

Ditto. I have a 12 gallon steel long cruise tank in the same location. Mine came from a friend who took real good care of the tank so no problems. My original Larson tank located in the bow ,looks great but the inside has over an inch of crap in it and a small amount of visible rust. it will cost more to clean and treat it than to replace it with a new plastic one.

1971 Larson 165 Shark battery location 6 years 11 months ago #131533

Thanks, I'll check it!
I had a '47 Morris Oxford back in the nineties. It had 4000 original miles on it- but all in the bush. When it was new, someone rolled it, so they cut the unibody off behind the firewall, and built a cab and box out of plywood. They used it to haul firewood out of the bush.
Anyways, the fuel pump went on it, so they put a gravity fed lawnmower fuel tank on the roof. Whenever she got going too fast she'd cut out, so I bought a Carter electric fuel pump for her, dropped the original fuel tank, and washed it out with a hose.
Worked real good after that!
Two things you gotta watch if you ever get one- they're 12 volt positive ground, and mine had a four on the tree. Could never find reverse though!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7899 guests and 2 members online