• Page:

TOPIC: Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival

Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130816

• DCMM
  • DCMM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The Door County Maritime Museum's 27th annual festival takes place this August in Sturgeon Bay and we want everyone to know that you're welcome to join the fun. The event begins Friday, August 11th with a pre-event for registered boaters. There is a special tour of the museum's sea-going 98 -year-old tug, the John Purves followed by a 10 mile Bay to Lake Lighthouse Cruise. The cruise features lunch at the Sturgeon Bay Yacht club and visits to two of Door County's finest lighthouses. Following the cruise is a cocktail reception in the museum for registered participants.

The boat festival formally opens Saturday in conjunction with the Maritime on Madison street festival which is adjacent to the museum. Our annual Sikaflex boatbuilding contest will be underway on the grounds, refreshments (including freshly caught Door County whitefish sandwiches) are plentiful, and there will be boats from kayaks to schooners. It's a family friendly atmosphere with plenty of activity for everyone as the show site is directly downtown. Access to the museum and the tug is free for registered participants.

Saturday night after the show closes for the day, boaters are invited to dine at the Sturgeon Bay Yacht Club and enjoy the club's Venetian Night Parade and the night's fireworks over the bay. Sunday's activities culminate with the amusing Sikaflex sea-trials and race. The final boat demolition in the water is fun to watch. Our annual Peoples' Choice Awards will be announced following the race. This is a fun and informal festival which we hope everyone in the family will enjoy.

For more information, check out our festival website at www.doorcountyclassicboatfestival.com or email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

We'd love to see some Fiberglassics in Sturgeon Bay!

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130820

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Sounds great. This is the show Cal went to last year and talked about. I will do my best to bring a Glassic. Would be great to see a few more. Thanks for posting!

Dr.Go!

Re:Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130830

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I've been going to this for at least 5 maybe more years. Always fun, especially watching those build your own boat races. They forgot to mention that there are beer, wine and food stands under a tent right among the boats plus a flea market of used parts that go really dirt cheap. They're really trying to get more glass boats involved. Two years ago I took first place of peoples choice fiberglass with the Lone Star Mystic. Last year I took a second with the Tomahawk. A sheet of paper is handed out to the crowds and they mark what boats they like. It's not judged only what the visitors like to see. Bring a lawn chair and a cooler with samiches and beverage if you like. Plenty of parking and if you really talk nice to the guys they might just let you park an RV there for the night. Just happens to be my home town where I cut my teeth on the old boats back in the 50's.

Re:Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130833

We already have reservations at the Best Western on 14th Ave in Sturgeon Bay for the weekend. I am not bringing the Thompson this year, we are going to check it out the first time and go from there. Cal, we will probably see you at the Thompson Rally at Marinette and discuss our plans. Sounds like a great show.
Bill

Re:Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130836

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Super. Found out last night that my Sister-in-law and brother-in-law who live a few miles south of Ely, MN are not in good health with stage 4 breast cancer for her and other problems with him so the summer plans are somewhat iffy for now. Life throws a curve at you sometimes. Am really going to try and make all these events. I think Dr. Go mentioned a rally in Tomahawk sometime during the summer also.
And then to put in the mix my 21 yr old grandson just received a summer Amgen student scholarship to go to MIT :ohmy: in June through Aug. all expense paid by MIT in Cambridge. Might be taking a week in the RV to go east again in July. Don't know where he got the smarts,...sure wasn't from me.
The Best Western is north of where the show is but an easy drive. A Walmart about a block away and a McDonald's across the street so you'll have all the convenience of home.

Re:Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130841

No trying to steal the thread, but that is really awesome that your grandson is going to MIT.
RIGHT ON!!!
doc

Re:Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130842

• DCMM
  • DCMM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks everyone for showing interest in the festival. If you've never attended and wonder what it is like, visit our website at www.doorcountyclassicboatfestival.com and take a look through the 2016 picture galleries. There are lots of pictures there that will give you a good feel for the event. What you can't get from the pictures, of course, is a taste of the best whitefish sandwich you've ever had. For that and a tasty beverage, you'll just have to drive to Sturgeon Bay! I didn't mention that the festival is open to the public at no charge which is our way of making it family friendly. Public entry to the museum itself and the tug are offered at a "boat show special" price.

Email me if you have any questions. I'm looking forward to seeing more of those great classic glass boats at the museum.

Bill

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130846

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bill, don't know if you know this but my wife and I are both SB natives. I went to St. Jos grade, she went to Corpus Christi. '64 grad of SBHS. I try to promote the show as much as possible. Owned the 4 Arrows.

Re:Door County Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 7 years 1 month ago #130849

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I really hope to make this show as well... I've been meaning to get to the Museum anyways so may as well bring one of my beasts in tow also..

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7032 guests and 2 members online