Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My new Redfish

My new Redfish 7 years 9 months ago #123445

So I just traded for a supposed 1960 Redfish boat. Does anybody know where I can find a Hull ID number on this thing. A guy in Idaho that has several Redfish said that there is no plate to ID it but I saw a 57 for sale on EBAY and it had a plate. The hull number on my title is nothing like the number on that boat. My title is 7836rdfs. I read that most had a ks in the beginning on the number. He also helped me to find out that it s probably not a 60 just by the fins. My first boat and its a bit of a project but not too bad. Thanx for any help.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: My new Redfish 7 years 9 months ago #123446

hi...congrats on the redfish....we also have a few sharks....the numbers starting with ks were made in iola kansasm the ones with tx were made in clarksville texas...yours would be a 59 or older, however unlike cars, boats were sold as the year that they were bought,,,,so a 59 caryover would be titled as a 60....the 57 and early 58 had a oval metal tag with a fish on it on the port side inside the transum....easy to get lost off....the newer ones had an aluminum transum cap ant the numbers were port inner and upside down....look at the inside of the fin...if there are no sign of any holes to mount the chrome red fish script, it's most likely older than 59 as the 57 and early sharks used a yellow rocket decal...hope this helps...john

Re: My new Redfish 7 years 9 months ago #123452

Thanx pirates!! Unfortunately you were too helpful. The info you gave me led to what I believe is my number as there is an upside down number stamped on the port side of my transum cap. Sadly, it doesnt correspond to any of the numbers on my title. Does that look like a legit Redfish number? Just didnt seem to be in line with the limited info Ive been able to find on numbers. Thanx again
Attachments:

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 9 months ago #123458

Welcome aboard.

Do not pay much attention to paperwork for old boats. The paperwork of titles and registration, etc... are notorious for being inaccurate. Use the boat itself and comparisons with old brochures and other known boats to determine the year and model.

Andreas

Re: My new Redfish 7 years 9 months ago #123459

yep...thats the red fish plant number, ( 15 ft seating style a and sequence number of boats made)....your boat was made before they started using the plant prefix (ks, tx, and ga)....the numbers on the title would have been assigned by the state, not the boat company, so rarely would be on the boat...hin numbers (like the vin on a car) didn't come out till 1972....kinda a mess isn't it??

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 9 months ago #123469

Thanx so much for your help folks. The title questions were the only thing holding me up with starting this project. The Redfish guy I talked to in Idaho had a lax attitude about old boat paperwork too but I guess I just wanted to hear it from more people :laugh: Guess its time to start with the floor replace. Thanx again

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #123918

I have a Red Fish Shark Capri that the seller recorded as a 1957 model. The stamped 1/2" number is 3467. I read another boater had a 1958 model and his number was 2536. I am thinking that mine is a 58' or 59'. Any help out there on these numbers?
Tim

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #123934

congrats on the capri....they are very hard to find....we like pictures....is it a hard top?? a lot of old fined boats were titled as 1957s as they were titled years after the boat was made, and "has fins like a 57 chevy"...the 57 we almost bought had the oval red fish plate and was number 2464....someone posted a red fish on here years ago that was titled as a century and had the plastic stick on century script from a buick on the fins...we do have an "original origin of a boat" from 1959 signed by h. a. walters....as soon as i can get to where it is stored i'll see if it has the plant number on it...johhn

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #123961

Here are pictures of my RFS Capri #3467. I had to repair a gash in the hull, and this side is now painted.

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #123962

I can't get the pictures loaded. Wish I had the hard top, would look good with my 58 Ford Skyliner.

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #123978

skyliners are cool...had a 56 and a 54...all so long ago....pic size matters,,,,resize to less than 1024x1024

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124022

I also just pickup a Red Fish with the #KA15-186 stamped inverted on the transom cap, can someone tell me for sure what this is? I believe its a Shark produced at the Kansas facility and was the 186th boat built there.

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124023

looks like a 15ft boat built in the iola kansas plant....have any pics???

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124025

I think my pics are too large and I don't know how to reduce them but lets try.

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124027

Trying to get pictures on here. Gash repaired and half of hull painted.
Attachments:

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124141

Nice looking paint job Tim, if you don't mind sharing what did you use for paint? I'm in the process of restoring my G3 and my Shark.
Thanks
Jack

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124147

I used an epoxy primer and paint called K&B SUPER POXY, marketed for the R/C model hobby trade. Unfortunately, it no longer available, but I had just enough on hand to do the hull. There is a product called KLASS KOTE that I understand is similar. They have a good web site for information. My paint job looks just like gel coat, great stuff, easy to spray, no need to rub out.
Lets see if I can get another picture on here.
Attachments:

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124148

Attachments:

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124149

[img/]

Re:My new Redfish 7 years 8 months ago #124153

Thanks I will take a look. Have shot gel coat as well as most single stage and Bas Clears but your job looks like it was a really nice product, of course it may not be legal in CA.
Thanks
Jack

Re: My new Redfish 7 years 7 months ago #125250

There is a year chart in the Red Fish Library that starts with 1958 models. It shows the 1958's with air flotation. The 1959's and on models show balsa flotation. I purchased my Capri as a 1957, but is it really a 1959 as it has a balsa floor core? Does anyone out there have a Shark without the balsa core? Just wondering. Still looking for more people to report transom plate stamped numbers, mine is #3467. Anyone have idea if this is a running production number? How many produced in a year?

Re: My new Redfish 7 years 5 months ago #128237

Any response to this post is appreciated. Also, more reports of stamped transom numbers and years. Thanks

Re: My new Redfish 7 years 5 months ago #128265

you might try the red fish boats classic group on facebook...was started by the president of red fish's daughter sylvia

Re: My new Redfish 7 years 5 months ago #128266

Thanks, been there. Seems kind of hard to join this group to see any posts.

Re:My new Redfish 5 years 10 months ago #136285

My Red Fish is now finished. Won King of the car show.
Attachments:

My new Redfish 5 years 10 months ago #136292

Very nice! Having that hardtop convertible Fairlane for a tow car didn't hurt ya none!
Larry

Re:My new Redfish 5 years 10 months ago #136294

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
How much white & red did you use? How many coats?
thanks

Re:My new Redfish 5 years 10 months ago #136296

Almost a quart each of red and white for two coats each, and 2 quarts of clear for 3 coats, all plus catalyst.

Re:My new Redfish 5 years 10 months ago #136302

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you, looks great! And you've had it out in the sun and water? Is the shine holding up? I'm working on a 14' lake n sea and looking for a finish that I can easily apply myself. I have roll & tipped plenty of varnish, never used a HVLP gun just cans and air brush but It looks easy with some practice. I see Klass Kote has a filler primer and will custom mix colors. thanks,
Eric

Re:My new Redfish 5 years 10 months ago #136303

I just finished it in Jan, and it has not seen much sun and no water yet. Oh, I did tow it for 30 miles in rain from a car show in Feb and it was fine. For the hull i used the white Klass Kote type paint, but used red auto base/clear coat for the deck to match our clasisic Ford.
Tim

Re:My new Redfish 5 years 10 months ago #136306

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thx

My new Redfish 3 years 7 months ago #143123

I know this is old but can you tell me what you did for the rub rail? I'm assuming from the pictures it was replaced

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)