• Page:

TOPIC: need expert help

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136218

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Put in new coils, plug wires, points, coils, condensers, figure this thing should start and run like a top. NOT!!!
I've done this all before on different motors but never ran into this problem. Motor turns over great, after a few seconds there will be one loud backfire. BANG! Timing problem but as far as I can see it's all done by the book.
Each point set at .020 high side of cam. Tried swapping plug wires thinking I had wired the coils a$$$backwards but then I get nothing at all. The back fire tells me I have spark and fuel.
Any advice?
Maybe there is a sync problem??
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136220

Cal,
Double check the you have number 1 at TDC and the mag/alt set correctly. I had the same problem on the 80hp and it was set off by one tooth on the belt/gear.

Bob

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136226

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob. I remember the year of troubles you had with that 80. This is only a 40 with no belts, just a simple setup. That's what gets me.
How's the Resorter coming? Is the house finished and moved into?

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136227

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
One question that would make a big difference. Does the plate index mark have to be lined up with the index point on the case? I've seen some youtube vids that say to line up with the wheel, not the marker. I've been setting the points with the throttle at the slow stop. Probably why I get the backfire. fuel going into the cylinder but the plug not firing until the piston is past the exhaust port. Just so I'm clear on the principle I put the old dowel stick in the top cylinder, reached TDC, then set the points so they open (field collapses) at the reference mark.
Attachments:

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136235

Your points are set at .020" when at the high point of the points cam. This can be accomplished by slowly turning the motor over or moving the mag plate until the the points are fully open.

The timing mark on the brass throttle cam is used to synchronise the throttle opening. The butterfly in the crb should just be starting to open when the mark is lined up with the pointer cast into the block.

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136239

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK thanks, just needed to know what the index mark was for.
A problem I have now is that I"m only getting spark on #1. I pulled the top plate again, checked all the connections, checked coil primary and secondary, all checked out. Wires are good. Good readings from the coil to the plug terminal end. Points are polished.
There are three wires going to the points. One from the condenser (black) another from the coil (green) and another black wire from the vacuum cutout on #2 (the one not sparking) magnito cutout is on #!.
Reminder this is a 1960 40hp Gale (OMC) electric start.

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136259

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm about ready to give up on this motor. I've checked, re-checked, re-re-checked again all the wiring, connections, continuity. Everything checks out according to the books. Everything under the cap is new, even the plug wires. Still no spark, had spark on #1 for a few days and that stopped, now nothing on either circuit. I even disconnected the cutout and still nothing. Anyone think that the start switch might be junk?? The motor turns over great, fuel is good just no spark. Wondering if the key switch is bad. Any suggestions/opins?
I've pulled the cap so many times I think it pops off by itself if I give it the ol' stink eye.

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136260

I have seen new condensers go bad. Swap them & see if problem followers that part? Unhooking any additional black wires from the points (except condensers) will eliminate key switch, cutout (as you did), etc. That was a good idea. Then you will know if you have a short in the kill circuit. Don't give up, you will get it!

Dan in TN

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136261

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Dan, I needed the moral support. I did check the condensers, swapped them with the old ones that ran with the motor. I know I'll get it, probably something so simple I just keep looking past it. I'm going to check the switch anyway just to clean it up if anything and then run continuity checks on all the wires from the switch to the motor. If that fails I have a plan B. These old motors are so simple, spark, fuel, air.

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136262

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I no nothing to help you. I just remember an old timer telling me to look at his old car motor in the garage at night with lights off to show me some bad plug wires shorting to the block with random lightning strikes. You said your stuff was new I think. Had you double checked those... well that was dumb of me to ask because you probably checked them 3 times. Wish I could trouble shoot like you guys. Good luck... wire by wire, you will get it.

Dr.Go!

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136264

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark, how's that new Merc working out? Did you get it yet?

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136268

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I must still be sick because I can’t even spell the word KNOW correctly. Crazy but I just broke my 1/2” breaker bar on that same Jeep nut last week. I was dog sick and should have waited to borrow my brothers 3/4 stuff. Jan’s advice works well I must add wish I had waited a week and read this first. I would have been healthy and had more knowledge.

Dr.Go!

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136270

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Pick up the 6 cylinder rig this coming Friday... I am still wondering how I caught this disease. Maybe it’s time to thin the herd a bit?

Dr.Go!

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136279

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Question for you gurus. Is the magnet on the cap always in the same position relative to the hex key slot on all older omc motors? I'm thinking the PO of this Gale might have switched caps since there also was no pull starter when I bought it. Maybe my problems are because the magnet is not passing the coils at the right time.??? When the cap is placed on the key and the coil plate is in the "start" position should the magnet be aligned with one of the coils?? I'm beginning to throw stuff against the wall now to see what sticks.
opins please.

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136307

Hey Cal, sorry been on travel for work. Can't say that I can help much then. Resorter is still on trailer at apt waiting for the garage to get emptied enough to move the POD containers of woodworking stuff then resorter into the garage.

Bob

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136313

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Bob. Glad to hear you're working :)
Let's see, waiting for the garage to empty,,,,,,never,,,,.
Great time to set the garage up the way you want it so the things you need will be handy.
I went with plan "B" on the Gale. IE removed it and picked up a '58 Johnson 35hp that runs. The dogone motor was attached to an old Elgin boat though so now I have to remove the motor and controls, steering, seats, hardware etc. and start up the sawzall.

Funny thing happened at the pickup site where I got the motor. Met the good Dr. Go. Almost like we had it planned. He picked up his 115 Merc that just happened to be attached to a boat and pristine trailer. Had a good talk and we both got back to our respective homes with any trailer issues.

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136319

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good to see you Cal. Learned my Thunderbird is that Cathedral hull and it is a smaller Outboard version of the boat on the Flipper TV show. This boat was set up for Great Lakes fishing and has a self bailing closed deck IF you take a big one over the bow. Here is a picture of 2 partners in crime caught red handed with the addiction lol.
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136329

LOL yeah that looks like trouble right there!!!!!! Well Cal if at first you don't succeed.........change motors! lol I plan on putting 4 8' long fluorescent lights in the garage with 6500 lumen bulbs in them so should be plenty bright enough. May even tap off the air to keep the temp down some in summer. I'll have to post some pics in NBR. Floor is all painted and covered in boxes that need to go in the attic as soon as I put the lights in and more decking down.

Glad you and the good Dr were able to meet up.

Bob

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136333

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Geesh, Mark, I'm getting a little reflection from the sun there, shudda wore my hat.
Bob, you might want to check into the LED style florescent lighting. Those things are super bright and super cheap to run. Seems like the old tube bulbs are becoming dinosaurs.

need expert help 5 years 10 months ago #136343

LOL good one. I already bought the fluorescent ones, too cheap to pay the big bucks for the LED's. lol

Bob

need expert help 1 year 6 months ago #147101

Sabre assuming you didn’t resolve this problem as you replaced with 57’, 35hp!?! I’m dealing with this exact problem and sure it’s points but exhausted them and still nothing.. love to know if this got resolved

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)