• Page:

TOPIC: 1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134022

• damartinca
  • damartinca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
After about 45 minutes of running on the water, the motor surges and bogs and continues that way until the motor cools down.
So far, things that I have done are rebuilt the fuel pump. Then I changed it out to the modern style which seemed to solve the problem, but then it came back.
Vents were open on the fuel tanks although both days it was at the 100 degree mark outside.

What else do I check? Most things I have read point back to the fuel pump, but I have done everything I can with that.

I'm not mechanically experienced, so although everything I have done on this motor I have done myself, it is with lots of coaching and I have avoided things like rebuilding the carbs because it is complicated on this motor and I will never get it right. Unfortunately, there just aren't many boat mechanics in my area and even less that will work on these old motors.

Thanks for any guidance.

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134026

David - Here are some possibilities

Vapor lock - it was apparently a problem for these on hot days. Not sure how you would prevent this if it is a real hot day.

Fuel pump ( even though it is new ) could be defective somehow

Is your ignition coil original? It could be breaking down from heat

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134030

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I had that problem also and found that the drop leg filter screen inside the fuel tank was partially plugged with years of gunk. If memory serves me the '66 was first generation of the CDI which was prone to problems when the heat was on. There are ways to correct this problem.

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134034

• damartinca
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for hte suggestions.

Bruce I changed the coil to the auto one you recommended a while ago. I didn't have this surge bogging issue at all last year. It started up at Shasta. The problem would have to be on both the old and new fuel pump then. I went to the more modern style fuel pump which seemed to give me better acceleration than the old style.

Cal-- Thanks, I have points ignition. i am going to have to check it again. The problem if it is a fuel tank is one is new and one is old and it seems to happen on both.

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134039

Oh - I forgot about the coil change out.

Have you tried to have someone look at the fuel line primer when the engine is doing this? See if the bulb is collapsed ( tank not venting or bad check valves ) also try having someone squeeze the bulb aggressively when the engine is doing this - to see if it clears up momentarily.

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134052

• damartinca
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I bought a new fuel line and bulb to try next time. I guess when I go to Tower Park I will be able to test.

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134054

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Keep us informed. Sometimes it's the simple things that cause big problems. Also make sure all your carb and distributor linkages are firm without any slop.
Hope your trial goes well at Tower Park.

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134061

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
We found that a cheaper brand bulb had deteriorated from ethanol fuel and the inner ball was coming apart when we cut the outside off to look. A small piece had torn loose and was lodged in the line. New quality line and problem solved. We also found The neighbor's gas connection wasn't a matched set and was sucking air... to the point I could never get the ball to firm up. Each ends were different brands of aftermarket. Hope you nail down a simple find... maybe even a fuel line crack that is slight near a stress point. Just my amateur 2 cents. I want you to know I am no mechanic, nor authority on the matter. Just want a fellow boater to fully enjoy their rig.

Dr.Go!

1966 100HP Golden Meteor Surge and Bog Problem 6 years 7 months ago #134067

• damartinca
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you. The fuel line and bulb were brand new OEM a year and a half ago, so while I don't think that is the problem, I bought another one just in case one of the valves went bad.

I have learned a lot since I got this motor. I didn't no the difference between a fuel pump and distributor when I started and I thought I had it dialed in pretty well, but this problem has just eluded me. And with no way to really test it without a two hour drive, it takes a long time to diagnose. Next trip isn't until the end of October.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)