• Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132014

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 99
Ok so any insight into how these motors are? I have access to one with the tilt and carb rebuild kits for both carbs.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132015

I've had several friends that have had those motors on boats over the years.. They're based on the later model V-4 block so they're pretty bulletproof since they share a lot of components with their larger V-6 brethren.. If they have any downside, it's their insatiable appetite for gasoline.. To say that they can be a bit thirsty is an understatement.. ;)

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16, 225HP Chrysler LM318

1978 Chris Craft 251 Catalina Express, 330HP Pleasurecraft 350 (383 Stroker)

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132018

So long as you use fresh gas with good oil and don't overheat it, it will run forever. Fuel burn at no wake speeds and above about 80% throttle is bad. 20-25 MPH isn't too bad.

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132021

I've been running a '73 model 85HP 'Rude since last summer. Seems like a solid motor and mine wasn't particularly well cared for. It will run my 15' trihull at mid 30s mph with no problem, but they're dead right about fuel. Fairly quiet for what it is when on the water but loud enough to deafen my neighbors running on muffs. So that's a plus.

Mine doesn't have tilt/trim but that's about the only down side besides fuel consumption.

Oh, no pee hole on the water system so water pump function is harder to keep an eye on. It does have an overtemp buzzer but only on one head. There are kits to retrofit an additional buzzer or modify for a pee stream.

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132022

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys. So I'm guessing fuel consumption isntgoingto be any better than the '67 80hp. Im also wondering if my transom will take the weight. The Wagmaker was rated for 100hp in 1960 but a 100hp didn't really exist so not positive of the weight capability. I know the 80 that's on her is about 240 and the '78 is about 312 with the power tilt. She is 18' with 7' beam so I may be fine but it's still the original transom.

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132024

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
You'll have to decide about the strength of your transom. I wouldn't worry about the weight as much as the power of these motors. They are stump pullers. I have a 73 85 horse with an ignition that has problems. The ignition stator melted for some reason (the motor doesn't seem to be overheating), and I can't find one for a reasonable price. A 78 may have a different style ignition though, as outboard motors seem to change often with that.

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132035

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Paul, yeah the '67 80hp that's on her now pulls nice when it says running.

After some checking it looks like '78 was one off odor and they changed starting in '79???/

Bob

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132037

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I had a 67 Evinrude 80 on my G-3 when I was a teenager, in which you're right, they pull pretty good, but the newer V-4s of that size seem quite a bit stronger. I'd like another 80 like that some time they were a good looking engine that year. What is wrong with your 80?

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132038

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Something new every time I take her out! I've got a thread in this forum that goes for quite a while. lol

Bob

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132049

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
A lot of my friends ran various years of these motors. All solid runners and stump pullers... always pulling multiple water skiers. Some had 15 pitch props... so no all day high speed cruising. Ask the experts about the oil injection unit. I think they went through about 3 generations of oil injection fixing unsatisfactory issues. I did have one friend blow a powerhead to failure. Not sure the years. One man I met camping that worked at Evinrude said (when asked) well...let's just say I choose to mix my own oil and gas at this time...I think that was late 80's or early 90's. I also read in later years the physical size of motors like the 120 gained like 80 pounds due to beefing up Crank and bearings to make it more robust...this likely has nothing to do with your motor. Seams there were tons of 85's out there. I also have seen people make a thin stainless or thick aluminum plate over the transom and down the back. I did this on a 14' Starcraft fish boat that was rated 15 hp...now NO flex and swear it could handle twice that. Good luck with yours!

Dr.Go!

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132052

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks don't really want to do that when my transom looks like this.

Bob
Attachments:

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132053

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Wow, nice looking starflite. Great shape for a 62

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132057

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ooo - nice...I get what you are saying. You certainly are the best judge of your own equipment. Like the lines of that motor and nice view of wood. I did see a picture of a fat fifty hood nicely mated to a more modern motor and lower unit for more dependability. Looked clever and clean. You sure have a nice rig!!

Dr.Go!

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132068

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Paul it's actually a '67 80hp inside the '62 housing so it would be more period specific to the boat which is a '60.
Dr. Go thanks. Just didn't think an aluminum plate would look good with this roy. I do have a thick aluminum plat across the mounting bolts on the inside of the transom.

Bob

1978 Johnnyrude 85hp motors 6 years 10 months ago #132070

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That works. I would not want to cover that beautiful wood either. I remember spending many hours as the "spotter" for water skiers in a boat like that. They used to drive me crazy because they would never get the water out of the hull during weeks vacation. We kept bleach bottles and sponges and towels handy because we didn't want water soaking in anywhere we could stop it. As a teenager, I learned they burned the boat due to rot as there kids were grown. Sad. Yours is amazing!!

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat