Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 evinrude v-4 powerhead replacement

1965 evinrude v-4 powerhead replacement 7 years 2 months ago #129937

I have aquired a 1965 75hp model#75593S to mate to my needs everything 1959 17ft. uniflite. my v-4 is only pushing 65-70lbs on several compression tests, Have found a powerhead with 118-120 lb's
is this worth the effort I do have all controls for the selecric shift,or what year motor hp? could still use that control setup?
thanks all,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 evinrude v-4 powerhead replacement 7 years 2 months ago #129940

Were both power heads tested with the same compression gauge? Are both power heads the same vintage & HP? Does yours run good or at all?

I'm sure to start an argument here BUT.....

OMC never published compression, only stated that compression should be within 10% of each other.

Those old V4's never tested high. Huge ports allowed lots of travel upward on compression stroke before they closed. Also allowed lots of unburned fuel right out at idle speeds.

Re:1965 evinrude v-4 powerhead replacement 7 years 2 months ago #130032

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Most of the old V4's I've had tested in the low 90's to mid 120's but were in the 10% range. Lower than that they were hard starting and sluggish. The powerhead you mentioned should be good. A swap of upper motor should not be of any concern to what shift you have if it's the same vintage, shaft spline count and bolt pattern. You can also scavenge bracket and electrical parts from the old motor. Assuming you're talking short block.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7018 guests and no members online