• Page:

TOPIC: Seized Johnson FD-10 - need to split the case

Seized Johnson FD-10 - need to split the case 7 years 5 months ago #128295

• 63LStriton
  • 63LStriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Months ago I picked up this motor for $15 in an auction. It is seized but everything is there and I finally got the ambition to start taking it apart. Started with a good soak with Deep Creep and taking off the head, and intake and exhaust covers. Weeks of soaking and trying to break it loose with a hammer / wood block and a breaker bar on the crank. No joy.

Ended up taking off the powerhead last night with the intention of splitting the case to see what I have. I have all of the bolts off, but nothing is budging. I was hoping that I would shake things loose a little without having to go this far, but now that I am here I may as well finish up.

Any suggestions from the gurus? I would prefer not to split the case if I can, but I think I am up against it and that is the next logical step. With the powerhead off last night I clamped it to the bench and put a 3/8 socket into the bottom of the crank where the driveshaft goes. Pretty tight fit and I had good leverage, but nothing moved.

Barring any good shade tree suggestions, I was going to pack it up and bring it to my buddy the mechanic and use some of the tools at his shop. Between the heavy impact wrenches and the hydraulic presses I figured we could either get it to move or break it.

Once I have some resolution on this one I will hopefully finish up the girlfriends 7.5 and then do the same process with a seized Big Twin 35.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:Seized Johnson FD-10 - need to split the case 7 years 5 months ago #128360

• 63LStriton
  • 63LStriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Got it apart without brutalizing it - I had missed the 2 bolts hiding under the reed block. Good thing I brought it to my mechanic!

Pretty much everything behind the pistons is in great shape - shiny and oily!! Need new piston rings, a bottom seal, and a top o-ring, probably with a gasket kit. Update - forgot that I need a recoil starter for this one too. Not much good without that!

1956 FD-10 - no diagram on Marineengine. Any additional thoughts on where to go for the part #s?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 10239 guests and no members online