Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Super Seahorse 35

Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109312

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Where do you look for the model number on this motor? I found the serial number in a welch plug (1935435), but haven't found any other info yet. She looks fairly clean and well cared for, gotta get her up on the stand and check it out more fully. I know my way around the 1970's OMC motors fairly well, but this one is uncharted territory for me! Bonus - I found an extra prop (looks pristine) in the boat she came on.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109320

The ID tag should be located in between the transom brackets just under the clip that latches the hood down. The model # is RDS-21 and it's a 1959 model. The coils are located under the flywheel like all 50's OMC's and the ignition is super easy to work on. 59 was the only year for the spark plug access door in the back of the hood and the last year for 35hp as 1960 introduced the 40hp models. This model has a thermostat which opens at 140f so the water coming out the telltale doesn't start spewing right away more of a mist until it's warmed up just keep your fingers out of it as it can become hot fast!
Al

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109323

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
did not noticed the access door, good eye Al. frog

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109345

• MarkS
Thanks Al, I've got to get her up on the motor stand and check her out fully. She turns over freely, and as you can see is pretty clean and appears to be well cared for. Normal (for me) fuel line replacements, carb and fuel pump kits, ign tune up, etc. will be in order after a compression test.

I see a compression release on the recoil starter, so I guess I'll have to get the battery cables replaced and the switch box serviced, as they have seen their better days. (Cables insulation broken down and corroded, and the box was lying in the muck on the floor.

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109360

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Don't forget the water pump impeller, Mark.

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109368

• MarkS
Thanks Kerry, don't want to forget that! I've got to read over the manual and check on some of the older posts on how to go about the tasks at hand. She cleaned up pretty nice. RDS-21 B
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109374

That is one nice looking original motor, I'm sure that after a tune up and some fiddling it will be a great runner.

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109382

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
wow, your motor sure cleaned up nice. looks like new and it will run like new also with a little work. frog

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109472

• MarkS
Is it possible to change this motor over to push/pull cable steering? It was originally rigged with the pulley cable system, I may see about changing it over if possible. (I'll have a complete pulley cable system for sale if this can be done.)
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109484

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Mercury makes a kit to transom-mount a ride-guide-style steering cable. P/N 73770A 1

www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER73770A+1

Other mfr's have made various adapters over the years, you might be able to find something that'll work on eBay.

One style that probably would work on yours, has a flat plate that goes under (and is held in place by) the transom clamp screws; the tube to mount the ride-guide cable is attached to that plate.

Edit: found one on eBay!

And here's an excellent deal on the Merc kit, about half-price:

HTH..........ed
Attachments:

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109493

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Looks like a sweet motor Mark, any mouse damage? Should be a good runner. How 'bout a contest who can get their 35 sea horse running first. All I know about mine is it turns over with the puller, No time to look at it yet.
Attachments:

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109495

• MarkS
Thanks Ed, maybe an option for me there. As always, I appreciate the help!

Good looking motor Cal, what year is it? Mine had just a little "bedding" under the cowl, but no sign of damage yet. (Maybe just started, I believe it was properly stored before the last owner got his hands on it.)

I haven't had a chance to check mine out either, just pulled it over with the rope a little to make sure it wasn't locked up. Guess I'd better get the horse back in front of the cart and make sure she's going to be a runner before worrying about the steering system.

More immediate problems would be the "frozen" control box with a broken handle, and the electrical box that was laying in the muck garden in the floor of the boat. The relays, wiring coming out to the battery, etc. are in pretty bad shape.

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109499

Great looking motor Mark, it should be a good runner once you're done. The electrical box for that 75hp I got was trash also. Everything was corroded, thank goodness I didn't need it since I used the 80hp to put inside the housing. Greta wheel to by the way, of course I'm partial since that's the same one as I have. ;)

Bob

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109502

• MarkS
Thanks Bob, the electrical stuff shouldn't be a problem, I can still read the diagram on the inside of the cover! (We have all the relays and stuff at work - I think.) I'm still on the fence about keeping everything original on this one, plenty of time to decide......

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109504

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Those things are about as simple as you can get. This one was at least rusty screwed to the transom but without a cover. They clean up easy and the solenoids are readily available at auto parts stores (older Ford)
Attachments:

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109510

• MarkS
That's the one Cal, I've got the solenoid in my lunch sack to take home tonight. My fuses are missing and the battery cables are shot, no big deal.

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109512

Same as on my '59 Fat fifty that was on the Wagemaker, mine didn't have any fuses in it either. Don't really need them if I remember right, everything worked as connected so.... I replaced my battery cables and away I went.

Bob

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109519

The fuses are only used with the generator option, as are the 10 ga green & brown wires.

Cheers

Bill

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109520

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
MarkS wrote:

Thanks Ed, maybe an option for me there. As always, I appreciate the help!

Good looking motor Cal, what year is it? Mine had just a little "bedding" under the cowl, but no sign of damage yet. (Maybe just started, I believe it was properly stored before the last owner got his hands on it.)

I haven't had a chance to check mine out either, just pulled it over with the rope a little to make sure it wasn't locked up. Guess I'd better get the horse back in front of the cart and make sure she's going to be a runner before worrying about the steering system.

More immediate problems would be the "frozen" control box with a broken handle, and the electrical box that was laying in the muck garden in the floor of the boat. The relays, wiring coming out to the battery, etc. are in pretty bad shape.

Mark, I have a handle I got with some other parts that if it's what you need and you can use it,it's yours. Jim
Attachments:

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109534

• MarkS
'Preciate the info Bob, and Bill. I wondered about those two wires as they don't seem to have anything hooked up on the other side of the connection block they're terminated on. Thanks Jim, but I think it's the other lever I need. (Unless they're interchangeable, I haven't pulled the control box apart yet.) If your lever will work I'd be glad to have it! We'll work out something for shipping, etc..
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109537

Here's a couple scans you might find helpful. I have a complete service manual for your motor ( covers many) if you or anyone else needs more info. The latter applies to 58 RDS- 20, but is probably the same as yours

Cheers

Bill
Attachments:

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109538

I'll be wiring mine up in the next few weeks & will post some pics

Mark, I would encourage you to retain the cable steering. I understand if you upgrade you will not be able to use the Attwood wheel you have, which I think is pretty desirable. I don't think there's anything wrong with cable steering as long as it is maintained. Many aircraft rely on cables for control.

Cheers

Bill

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109545

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bill, thanks for the posting of pictures, I printed them off for future use.

Mark, I had a smidgeon of mousie nest also. Check out the lower plug wire.

I think I need a new wire, en-so?
Attachments:

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109553

• MarkS
Thanks Bill, good info. I have to get a manual when the budget permits, I appreciate the assist in the mean time! The more I think about it, the more I lean toward keeping the cable steering. Thanks for the input.

Gee Whiz Cal, you DID have some infestation there! Wire insulation must be like candy to those little buggers.

Can someone please explain the "cut off valve" function to me? (I realize it appears to ground out the ignition, but for what purpose?)

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109570

MarkS,

Check www.ebay.com for a fellow who sells the old factory OMC repair & service manuals on CD. - I paid 5.00 for mine at auction a couple of years ago.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109587

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark, the ign key gods were with me today. I actually found one that fits the ign for the rds-20, hooked up a battery and the thing turned over, starter is excellent, even the rusty old solenoid.
Any idea what the compression is supposed to be on the '58 sea horse??
I got around 70ish on both cylinders and a lot of carbon. I flooded both cylinders with fogging oil before turning over and also while spinning it. Even got spark off the one plug that the mice ate :laugh:
The other one was dead.
Now that I know it is usable it's time to tear it down and replace parts.
Had to take a break from fiberglassing my lone star project :blink:

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109593

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
MarkS wrote:Can someone please explain the "cut off valve" function to me? (I realize it appears to ground out the ignition, but for what purpose?)[/quote]

It's a safety device that keeps the powerhead from blowing up! Hard to believe, but the old Big Twins had a bad habit of wanting to run-away if you were to rev 'em way up in Neutral, then slam the throttle shut.

You'd think they'd just slow down, but for reasons I don't fully understand they get all ring-ding-y and just keep revving higher & higher and you think the engine's gonna splatter.

The cut-off-valve is vacuum-operated such that if the throttle is slammed shut at higher rpm, the high vacuum in the crankcase actuates the vacuum switch and, if I recall correctly, shorts one set of points to ground. Once that happens, the motor slows down and behaves again.

I'm thinking that the high vaccuum in the crankcase tends to pull a lot of fuel out of the carb, thru various passages, and maybe some of the residual fuel that's pooled in the crankcase, as we all know these Big Twins are so miserly with their petrol!!! ;)

Anyway, that's my limited knowledge of that thing, believe me, if you disconnect it, you will find out what it's for!

Very scary, gotta tell ya!

Cheers.........ed

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109604

• MarkS
That's a good find Cal, mine is missing too. I hope to get the electrical stuff pulled out of the boat this weekend, need to get a basic idea of what I'm dealing with as well.

Thanks Ed, good to know! I had no idea what that switch was all about, we'll be keeping it functional for sure.

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109605

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark, didn't mean to hijack your thread but the engines are similar we can work together.

Ed is 100% correct on the cut switch, there was a good explanation on iboats forum sometime back.

I'll try to pull the cap today and snap some pictures of the coil and points for us. Going to dismantle the entire engine sooner or later and replace all the internal wires and fuel lines. Coil is relatively inexpensive and available at NAPA Sierra brand around $20 :)

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 10 months ago #109627

• MarkS
No worries Cal, glad you're doing one too - always happy to have the guidance.

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 7 months ago #113275

• MarkS
Back to the steering set-up, I am going to upgrade to a single (push-pull) cable. I've got a stand off mount and tube from a donor boat, just need to find the connecting arm/rod and a way to fix it to the motor. Anybody got some spare parts laying around they would part with? (For a fee of course!)

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 6 months ago #115438

Curious about the spark plug access door. Just got an RDS-21-B and couldn't figure how to open the access door. This is what the inside looks like. Owner modified?
Attachments:

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 6 months ago #115445

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wouldn't know what the original should look like but that does not look factory.

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 6 months ago #115458

• MarkS
The clamp is spring loaded Dave, just pull on the handle (sticking up above to lip of the cover in your pic) and it should open. I'll check mine tonight to make sure it looks the same, but that appears to be identical if memory serves me correctly.

Mark

Re:Super Seahorse 35 8 years 5 months ago #115480

It will be interesting to see how yours compares. It seems like the flat metal strips on mine should be some type of spring clip.

Super Seahorse 35 5 years 7 months ago #137278

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Above the serial number...

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Super Seahorse 35 5 years 7 months ago #137301

Just a word to the wise. Sierra is having a quality issue at the moment with their coils. The laminate holes are not lining up right & it is impossible to get them under the flywheel without modifications. You can pull the coil off the laminates & put them on your old laminates? Other coils are available (even cheaper off eBay). They are from China too, but don't have this problem. Some are as low as $12.50 each. Free shipping. I would stick with OEM points & condensors if you change them. Tuneup kit #172522. Sierra quality on points has been suspect forever. Some of the stuff they make is fine, but not their ignition parts for these old birds at the moment. FYI

Dan in TN

Super Seahorse 35 5 years 7 months ago #137302

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have known of Sierra quality issues. Thanks for the reminder.. I found the water impeller cover has a small piece missing .from the area of the edge of the impeller rub zone... So .new control cables .impeller housing and impeller. She should be up and running this weekend..

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Re:Super Seahorse 35 5 years 7 months ago #137320

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Wiring diagram From the control box cover ...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)