Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: spread the word

spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #18800

Tell your fellow 4 cycle friends about this forum. There is quite a bit of public interest toward these engines, but there isn't much in the way of info.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #18824

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
There's a nice sea trial comparison of the Homelite 55 vs a modern 50hp four stroke on www.bearcat55.com

Here's how to find your serial number, serial number list is on above site too.
Attachments:

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #18826

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Bruce, please introduce us to who all is in the picture there with ya. (That is you in the white hat, right?)

Bill, I read that comparison a while back, but it was definitely worth reading again. Very informative and much info available on that website! You don't see many Homelites around here at all, wonder why? (South East US) I used to think "I wouldn't own a four stroke outboard", but lately have been reconsidering that (narrow) thought process. ;) People with closed minds cheat THEMSELVES out of many good things in life.

Mark

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #18846

That photo is from about 2002 or 2003 - I actually blew that engine up the day after that picture was taken. Not the fault of the engine, the person who "rebuilt" it had taken every shortcut possible, putting it back together with completely worn out parts. Bill knows who built it, but I won't name the person in public, as he is a real nice old guy. The picture is of my friends, as I was at the wheel when the picture was taken. There are probably a couple of me with the kids taken that day... Probably on a floppy somewhere.

The compare to the 50 HP honda that Bill suggested is a good one -and very useful for people considering repowering with a vintage 4 cycle.

As for the old write up that compared the Homelite with the 75 HP 2 cycle - the only thing truthful about that was the part about fuel consumption. Anyone who thinks a 4 cycle 55 will outpull a 75 2 cycle has never driven the two to compare. Also the claim about the top speed being within 3 to 4 miles per hour of the 75 were grossly misleading. I'm not bashing the "55", but Textron's advertising was taking major liberties. After Fisher Pierce bought the brand, the ads became more conservative and realistic.

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #18908

• billr
Yes, I agree with Bruce that first sales bulletin comparing to the 75hp OMC took liberties. And as he says, the most useful info in that bulletin was the fuel economy figures.
Here's a direct link to the later comparison which was done by a boating magazine in 1996 with my friend Scott supplying the Homelite for comparison. This one wasn't written by the factory:

bearcat55.com/READ_THIS__55_COMPARISON.php

No question the newer motor has more power, quieter etc, but looking at the figures you can see the 'ol Homelite 55 still provides good performance on a small boat and for a lot less money. Right up most glassic fanciers' alley, big bang for the buck. Typically a 17' boat is about the largest you will want to run a single on if you're after cruise speeds in mid twenties without running at constant high rpm.
I've run a single 55 on a Skagit 20 before and she really needed twins. She'd plane but my speeds were below 20mph without running wide open. Still had fun but was catching up to all my friends on their Skagits running 90-115hp.
Where they really shine is if you do a lot of trolling or low speed sightseeing, no visible smoke to see or smell, and the fuel economy is crazy good. Once you run a four stroke you get accustomed to no two stroke smell. Nowadays, even running my Skagit 20 with her Evinrude direct injected 115hp Ficht motor, I can never see the blue smoke but can smell it, and it's annoying. Wonderful motor so far, my Evinrude, good fuel economy and performance.
I like all the old motors, have owned and still own Mercury, Mariner, and Evinrude, along with Homelites and Bearcats. All put a smile on my face. Bruce is that way too, he's had a ball with them all. Frankenrude!
Should be putting a short shaft Bearcat 55 on my 1961 Power Cat 14T over this winter. Looking forward to launching the old Cat with an old 4 stroke, and not smelling any smoke.

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #19323

love all my bearcats especially the gas milege.

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #19324

Love your boat.
I have a 60 Larson All-American powered by a 59 Evinrude Fat Fifty. I would run the Homelite on it but the Larson is set up for a short shaft. B)
Attachments:

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #19326

• billr
DOn, good to see you. How about a couple pics of your famous Skagit with the Bearcat?!
Shoot me some pics of your Skagit running the Bearcat and your Larson too and I'll put a page up for you. I'm behind on getting pages up but started tonight....

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #20162

The differences between the latest model Bearcat and the earliest Homelite, aside from cosmetic, are alternator switch, thermostat, deleted oil filter. Mechanically, they are otherwise the same and should make the same power. The motors with thermostats wear far less quickly and last much lomger. But the early motors had much cooler cowls with chrome! Ideally, a late motor with an early cowl should be on the back of your boat!

Blest boater

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #20164

The brochure for my Fabulas 18' flybridge cruiser shows it on a healthy plane with two adults aboard while powere by a single Bearcat 55. I have twins on it and need more pitch than the 12" my props supply. Props are a big problem for Homelite owners, but early OMC props can be found in a wide variety of pitches and rebored for the Homelite shaft size. By the way, my Fabuglas Commodore with twin Bearcat 55's is presently for sale.
The attached picture with the twins was taken before they were painted and decaled.
Attachments:

Blest boater

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #20172

• billr
Gary,
I have 13" and 14" pitch propellers, I have around 100 propellers including several brand new in the box.
Go to www.bearcat55.com/Contact_Us.html and shoot me an email if interested.
Yes, your Fabuglas was in several brochures! I've seen one or two out west here over the years, guess most of them stayed back east in their distributor network.
And as you must have seen, I have the Dolphin Salty flybridge cruiser that was in the ads too. Only one that has surfaced.

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #20389

Hi,
Bruce sorry to here of your engine problems mine was rebuilt by Ed and I bought it from a lady whos cousin never got a chance to run it before he died I got a great deal on it I bought it in Cottonwood I use it on a 69 chapperal tri hull that I've completly turned into a fishing machine and it runs perfect

Re:spread the word 13 years 4 months ago #20397

That is one fine looking fine fishing machine. Nothing like running a vintage 4 cycle Homelite/Bearcat.
After working on mine to get it going. It was worth all the effort. Plus couldn't do it without Bill R's help.
I got more into it than I expected but it is still well worth it. When I cruise around the lake it turns heads. That is the ones that know vintage outboards. :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:spread the word 13 years 3 months ago #20915

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The word has been spread, I'm Here. So BillR this must be the forum you emailed me about.

Having a little trouble with "My Profile", keep getting this:
This user has not yet confirmed his email address and account!
This user has not yet been approved by a moderator! ??????

Also have to figure out this img attachment as it didn't seem to work. (Got it figured out now!)

I ran/owned a 40hp Johnson for 30 years before buying a Bearcat in April '09. Wished I had bought one thirty years ago, what a sweet engine! I now own 6 and a parts engine.

Dick Johnson
1989 16ft Sylvan
'58 Johnson 5.5
'61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
'65 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85
Attachments:

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:spread the word 13 years 3 months ago #20916

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome Dick, glad to have you aboard. There appears to be something wrong with the picture link, did you click the icon in the tool bar that looks like a computer screen with a chain under it, text comes up "image link"? (I tried posting the link you pasted using this method, but it doesn't work.) Looking forward to seeing whatever you have to share with us here.

Mark

Re:spread the word 13 years 3 months ago #20917

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Mark, I figured out what I did wrong for attaching a file, will look into the url type link as you're right I didn't see that. Little different forum than I'm accustomed to. Looks like my picture came up this time.

Dick

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:spread the word 13 years 3 months ago #20918

Yes, Welcome Dick. I see you have the "fever" after your first Homelite. Sweet motors. I love mine. I run it on a 21' pontoon using a 4 blade 8" pitch prop I got from Bill. Among other things.
You have a nice collection.

Re:spread the word 13 years 3 months ago #21201

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Dave. I don't think I have a "fever", I think it's an obsession! At this point all are runners except the '68. I'm sure it too will be a runner, just haven't got to it. The '65 is probably the "best" runner as it trolls the slowest of all of them. I love the economy of these engines. To have something of this hp and be able to troll it down to 1.4 mph, no kicker needed. My 40hp Johnson needed a trolling plate and would die every so often. The Homelite is perfect always, never loads up, never dies, and WOT gets with it too. Of course "we" all know this 'cause we own them. B)

Dick

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

Donate