• Page:

TOPIC: Ignition Stuff and Progress Reports

Ignition Stuff and Progress Reports 8 years 8 months ago #112416

• davriker
  • davriker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Have been gradually cleaning up the wiring and details on my Homelite. Here's some info that may prove useful for others:

Cap: Standard Motor Products AL137
Cap Lid: Standard Motor Products AL136
Rotor: AL102
Coil: Bosch Blue 00012 (3.0 ohm coil run without resistor wire)
Wires: Solid Core Universal Products R1814 (kit for 6 cylinder tractor)
All these items were in stock by Amazon Sellers.

The motor was already equipped with a Pertronix kit. After adding the high output coil and new tune up parts, I widened the gap on the plugs from .25 to .45. These upgrades were good for a 400 rpm increase at wot.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Ignition Stuff and Progress Reports 8 years 8 months ago #112620

Looks nice, that's some good info. I've been doing a bit of the same stuff to my 2 Bearcats. I haven't upgraded to the pertronics units yet but they're on the wish list. You said you gained a 400 rpm increase - what is your max rpm? I've had my motors as high as 5,600 with two people in the boat. That may be pushing it, but what is too high?? I might be underpropped but my WOT rpms drop as I add passengers. So I'll probably stick with the props I have and just control my throttle. Last year I bought some motors from a mechanic who worked at the Bearcat plant until it closed. He said back in the day, at the factory, they tuned some for racing that could sustain 8,500 rpm, he claimed without bottom end modifications. He said "You cant blow these motors up", I don't know if that would apply after 45 years though! Thanks

Re:Ignition Stuff and Progress Reports 8 years 8 months ago #112750

• davriker
  • davriker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
They were rated peak HP at 5500, with an RPM of 6000. I've been playing with props too. The prop diameter is 11.5", the shaft diameter is 13/16, pin drive.

Michigan Wheel #'s that work:
PS 70 = 14 pitch
PS 71 = 12 pitch
PS 72 = 13 pitch
PS 73 = 11 pitch
PS 74 = 10 pitch
PS 75 = 9 pitch

I started with a 14 pitch, but with 4 people in the boat, I couldn't even get on plane... it's only a 14' boat.

With the 12 pitch, and 3 people, it cruises wot at 5600 rpm, with just two and just me, and smooth water, it will hit 5800 rpm. This is what I'm running now, and is a good all around combo. But there isn't enough hole shot to get me up on a single ski, so I have an 11 pitch on it's way.

I also figured out a good way to set the timing... essentially ignore the book, go out on the water with the cover off, loosen the clamp that holds the distributor housing, loosen the two bolts that hold the housing to the head. Have someone pilot the boat at wot, while you rotate the distributor housing to find the maximum rpm. If the rpm drops, you went the wrong way, or went too far.

When I found that sweet spot, it was also good for several hundred rpm, and I had to back off the idle some.

Dave

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)