Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
FiberGlassics® North-West
  • Page:

TOPIC: New member

New member 9 years 10 months ago #94550

Please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Mike, and live in Fremont Ca., long time lurker,first time poster. One of my boats is an early 60's Dorsett El Rey with a 75hp Evinrude Starflite V4, owned since 1977, which might qualify as a fiberglassic. I've recently put it on a new trailer, as the old one was becoming a road hazard. Since going this far have been flirting with the idea of doing some major restoration, hull,and deck cap have spiderweb cracks and chalking, and transom,stringers,bulkheads, and cockpit sole have some wood rot and damage. Plan on having all this professionally done. Took it down and got an estimate from a highly recommended fiberglass pro,(Ouch!). Have been scrounging for hardware fit to be rechromed for a few months now, but still don't have it all. Current top speed is 34 to 36 mph, and was thinking of repowering with a 90hp Evinrude ETEC HO,( i like the V4 configuration over the inline 3). Do any of you feel this would be ok, or is this too much engine? I welcome any suggestions or comments on this project.

Thanks Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New member 9 years 10 months ago #94554

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Welcome! Have friends all over Nor/SoCal! I'm north, Olympia WA. On the motor think the thing I would be concerned with weight. Damn 4 strokes are heavy!

Re:New member 9 years 10 months ago #94576

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Welcome aboard Mike :cheer:

Robby is right 4 strokes are heavy. However, I'm not sure that the 90 etec is that much heavier than your older 75HP. Opinions go both ways on motor selection. Some want period correct, I guess I'm one of those, while other want the reliability of a newer motor.

Larry
Vintage Boatworks
Bakersfield, CA

Re:New member 9 years 10 months ago #94579

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Dean (on this forum) has had nothing but good to say about his ETEC.

A good buddy of mine is a mechanic at a local Johnrude dealer and he's always raving about how good the ETEC's are, so I guess he should know!

A 90hp ETEC (rated at the prop) would run rings around the Good Ol' Classic V4, while using significantly less fuel, in most cases, than the thirsty V4!

I found a pretty good video on YouTube of a 90hp, check it out:

Another option (if you could find a good one) would be a Starflite 100hp V4, same displacement block as the 75hp but a lot more power due to the flow-thru 4-bbl carb. You'd have to go thru it completely to make it reliable, but it'd still be a cheaper alternative to the $$$ ETEC. Especially if you have a hankerin' for that V4 sound!

HTH..........ed

Re:New member 9 years 10 months ago #94960

Just to clear things up, Evinrude makes 2 90hp outboards now. The standard 90hp ETEC, which is an inline 3cyl, same block and weight as the 75hp ETEC is a twostroke weighing 320 lbs up tuned to 90hp. The motor I would prefer is the Evinrude 90hp HO,(high output), which is the same V4 block as the 115hp ETEC down tuned to 90hp, also a twostroke weighing 390lbs. I don't know what the weight of the Starflite 75hp is, just wondering if the 90hp HO would be too much weight, or power for this hull?

Re:New member 9 years 10 months ago #94971

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you've done your research/homework on the motors Mike, both are really nice motors from what I hear. (I read the press releases from T.E.C. and performance write-ups from boattest.com too.)

I personally wouldn't consider hanging either one unless you're SURE your transom is in great shape. The 3 cyl 90 is pretty close to the same weight as your V4, but propshaft rated hp is 15 to 20% higher than flywheel rated hp!? I believe the H.O. version takes advantage of the 15% variance they're (manufacturers) are allowed in variance, so it's actually putting out over 100hp. (I don't recall the actual number off the top of my head, sorry.)

I have a friend in IL who recently upgraded from 85hp to 115hp Mercs, and promptly found out his transom was weak. Luckily he made it back to the ramp without sinking!

I'd be tempted to go with the H.O. version myself (LOVE the V4's!), but would have to make sure the structure was in shape and install some transom reinforcements (knees) to handle the extra power and weight.

Just my two cents........ ;)

Mark

Re:New member 9 years 10 months ago #94989

Thanks all for the 411. As far as transom strength goes, I allready discussed this with the fiberglass guy I got an estimate from, which includes transom rebuild, new bulkheads, stringers, and cockpit sole,(floorboard), and 3 more layers of fiberglass to the hull. He assures me It'll be a brick $###house when he's done with it. Here's a pic of what it currently looks like, 52yrs old but still turnkey.
Attachments:

Re:New member 9 years 6 months ago #99693

Hi Mike,
What did you ever decide about the repowering?

Thanks,
David

Re:New member 9 years 6 months ago #99713

Am going with the standard Evinrude 90hp inline 3. Went to a dealer to look em over and the 90hp HO V4 just looks like too much motor, size wise. Also the extra weight might be enough to make the boat stern heavy. Will have to alter the transom height a bit to get best cav plate location tho.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)