Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
FiberGlassics® North-West
  • Page:

TOPIC: OVERSTIMULATED NOOB. Apprentice Learning curve...

OVERSTIMULATED NOOB. Apprentice Learning curve... 10 years 11 months ago #77499

Greetings from Seahurst. I just acquired a 1958 Elgin 14' Runabout.

I have not owned a powerboat in 13 years, and see much has changed. I was always able to affordmuch larger power boats and someone to maintain them...not so much now and the lack of seat equity in previous boats is rearing it's ugly head now in ignorance volume....recently forced into retirement...the wife and I wanted to throw a few $$ at an older fishing setup that actually had personality.....and Ooooohh Rahhhh......we found it.

The young man we bought her from sure has loved her. he told us about this sight, so I signed up before I even transferred the title.

I of course intend on wading through the myriad of threads and topics,in an effort to learn as much about "classics" as I can.

Meanwhile....back at the ranch....I would like to hear from those patient enough to impart their wisdom upon me. Not a set of specific questions thus far, but want to put a few touches on her, and keep her Era correct as much as I can. It would appear there is a wealth of knowledge here, and you folks seem to love your boats with as much Bravado as i do my Kids, Wife and my motorcycles.

I await your wisdom and experience!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: OVERSTIMULATED NOOB. Apprentice Learning curve... 10 years 11 months ago #77524

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Tactical Solutions from the 2A sites up here in the NW?
I'm on Whidbey.

Re:OVERSTIMULATED NOOB. Apprentice Learning curve... 10 years 11 months ago #77525

Tactical Solutions Consulting.....I do WSCJTC Firearms instruction, and speak quite a bit on firearm/defensive related topics....so perhaps. I do respond to, and interact with topics related to 2A issues of late.

Re:OVERSTIMULATED NOOB. Apprentice Learning curve... 10 years 11 months ago #77526

I just acquired an exceptional 1959 Evinrude Fastwin "Golden 50 anniversary" 18hp.....

I am like a kid at Christmas today.

Re:OVERSTIMULATED NOOB. Apprentice Learning curve... 10 years 11 months ago #77551

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Cool, recognized the name from NW firearms etc. I'm also a big 2A fan, in additon to my fiberglassic hobby.
Welcome to the FG world, you'll have a ball.
If you haven't already, be sure to check out www.fiberglassics.com/library/Elgin
for info about your boat.
I would also say that sure looks like a P-14,
www.fiberglassics.com/library/P-14
Perhaps the P-14 was private labeled as an Elgin for Sears.
A good overall read on fixing up an old runabout is Runabout Renovation by Jim Anderson, cheap on ebay and is a quick read. Keep in mind there are several methods to do most jobs on these old gals, so the book gives Jim's way but there are other ways equally valid.
Anyway, hope that helps.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 10294 guests and no members online