Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration.

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 11 years 10 months ago #60567

UPDATE: I found the make, model and year built.

I purchased this about a week ago and plan on restoring it. I'd like to know what Co. made it and maybe eventually at least a year range it was manufactured. Most accounts have already agreed that it is older than the 60's, but honestly I don't know. I do know that I have searched the internet and most of the common sites that deal with old or classic aluminum boats and haven't found anything that has a transom set up like this one, but plenty of similar bows. Anyway, here are the pictures, see what you can do with it.
Thanks,
Casey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 11 years 10 months ago #60568

adding more pictures.
Attachments:

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 11 years 10 months ago #60569

sorry for this, couldn't figure out any other way
Attachments:

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 11 years 10 months ago #60570

What I have discovered from looking this boat over, is that the bow enclosure has been cut and the dash moved forward, it had a curved windshield at one time and a steering wheel. There are also brackets for a seat back up front and loops riveted to the vertical panels of both bench seats, two front and rear of each seat. Maybe to attach a cushion?
Attachments:

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 11 years 10 months ago #60571

Re:Old tinny, anyone know who made it? 11 years 10 months ago #60579

The transom lines look sort of like Aerocraft, but I really have no clue. Good looking boat, though.

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 11 years 1 month ago #74089

I did finally find out that it is a 52/53 Duracraft Sportsman. Here are a few pictures of how it looks today. It's come a long way, but there is still a ton left to do.
Attachments:

Re:Old tinny, anyone know who made it? 11 years 1 month ago #74167

Almost as bad! LOL Looking good!

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 11 years 1 month ago #74189

Thanks Bud!!

Re:Old tinny, anyone know who made it? 11 years 2 weeks ago #75183

Hey Casey....how did you get it cleaned up so nice so far? I just picked up a '58 Alumacraft F2 with the rear console steering but it is very weathered and I suspect leaking like a sieve. It has some crap plastered on the bottom(yellowy color) and some red stuff in spots inside. It had a bunch of ice/snow partly melted in it and when I lowered it to hook it up to the car water was dripping out pretty good along the keel underneath.

What to do? re-rivet? Rhino liner, Stop Leak like I see on infomercials?

I'll start a new thread when I finally get to it.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 11 months ago #76776

A lot of paint stripper! LOL On the sides that I plan to polish, I went an extra step with more stripper and a scotch brite pad to get all the fine paint film off. It polishes up nice with just mothers aluminum polish. When it is all done I figure on putting on some shark hide to seal and protect the shine.

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 11 months ago #76777

Okay, time for a little update and a few pictures. I stay busy with other projects too, especially this time of year, but I have been working on my little Jewel. I found some windshield brackets on ebay that suited me well and they look like they were meant to be on the boat (at least to me anyway) payed too much for them, but not as much as the guy did for the next set that came up LOL so I guess I really did okay. I've got them mounted and a pattern board cut for the plexiglass windshield.

I've also been working on a floor in the mid section between the two bench seats. I wont be putting one up front because you can't stand there anyway and I like the extra leg room, as for the rear, I'm not sure what I'm going to do back there, but I'm not thinking floor as much as I am brackets to hold the fuel cell and the battery in place. I plan to cover the floor with a tight loop carpet, gray in color to match the inside paint. [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com /media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Boat_25_Apr_2013____3.JPG

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #76847

Has anybody used any of this?
Attachments:

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77136

Put on a little paint this weekend!!

Re: 52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77139

m casey stock,

NEAT BOAT - HOPING that the "junkyard boat" looks as nice.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77153

Can't wait to see it!

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77464

Been doing a little polishing

Installed my "jetson" stern light.
Attachments:

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77471

Looking great! Nice work.

1970 Glastron V-142 SkiFlite
1965 Merc 500
1968 Merc 500

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77818

steering installed

Installed some hardware
looking for the wooden flag rod that goes in the hole on the bow light, any of you guys have a lead?

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77827

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
very nice. You are going to make the Airstream crowd jealous. The polish look great!

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77828

shacomm wrote:

very nice. You are going to make the Airstream crowd jealous. The polish look great!

LOL :) thanks, I haven't though of that. Hopefully they won't ban me from the camp grounds.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77830

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking great m casey, very nice! The flag poles (staff ?) come up on Ebay from time to time. Maybe someone who has one can give you the dimensions. If push came to shove you could use a wood lathe to reproduce it, or adapt one of the currently available items. Check Jamestown Distributors and a few places like that?

Mark

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77891

MarkS wrote:

Looking great m casey, very nice! The flag poles (staff ?) come up on Ebay from time to time. Maybe someone who has one can give you the dimensions. If push came to shove you could use a wood lathe to reproduce it, or adapt one of the currently available items. Check Jamestown Distributors and a few places like that?

Thanks Mark, I think I'm going to make one, of course if I come across a good deal on one ready made I'm sure I won't pass it up :)

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 10 months ago #77892

Hey Y'all, I'm looking for the chrome center cap that goes on my steering wheel I've researched and found that it is a Nautalloy Steering Wheel from 1959. I knew it was not original to the boat, although it was part of the purchase deal. I do like it better than the original for a couple of reasons, one, it just plain looks better and two, I'm a big guy and the way it mounts gives me more room under the steering wheel. Anyway, I would love to find an original center cap for it. Here's a couple pictures.

Maybe someone has seen or has one for sale.
Attachments:

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78254

My windshield got finished Friday! If you remember, I made a patten from a piece of flexible wall board. I sent that pattern to a glass co. in town and they cut and finished the edges using my pattern. I was going to do this myself, but they did it for $58.85. I could not even get a scrap piece of 1/4 tented plexiglass for that, so it was the best thing to do. Here's how it turned out.

Okay, I'm sure some of you noticed that RED knob, and yes I now have my controls reworked and installed. I took the little simplex apart and bead blasted the housing (after taping up the name plate) and shifter handles, painted the knobs and just put clear on the housing. Then lubed everything up good and put it all back together. Works as smooth as a new one, cables and all!

I also took these shots because I just thought it was a neat angle. One shot really shows the inward rake of the gunnels towards the inside as it gets close to the transom. That's one reason why I like this little boat so much, and why, even though I need another boat like the proverbial hole in the head, I'd love to add a Feather Craft to my fleet.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78258

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Is this the one?
Trouble loading.
I do believe I have your wheel and center cap.
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78259

Neil wrote:

Is this the one?
Trouble loading.
I do believe I have your wheel and center cap.

Cool. Yea, it is a little tricky, lol :) you wanting to sell it?

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78261

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Try this again.
www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/2-20130602-3.jpeg [/img]
Can you open this link casey?
This pic upload is beating me up today. I have done it a thousand times, but not this time.
Wheel is not for sale. Just need an adress to send it to. I would be honored to contribute to your project. Looking beautiful.
Neil
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78263

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Top Shelf work M Casey, she's really looking gorgeous!

Mark

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78277

MarkS wrote:

Top Shelf work M Casey, she's really looking gorgeous!

Thanks.

Time for the wiring of the lights, ignition switch and solenoid box. I've been trying to change the flywheel on my little 88 Johnson 25hp to an electric start flywheel with the ring gear. Can't get the original one off. Any tricks you guys can think of? I've soaked the shaft with BP Blaster for a week and bumped the end of my puller with a hammer and it will not budge. I was told not to use heat due to the electronics under and around the flywheel.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78278

Neil wrote:

Try this again.
www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/2-20130602-3.jpeg [/img]
Can you open this link casey?
This pic upload is beating me up today. I have done it a thousand times, but not this time.
Wheel is not for sale. Just need an adress to send it to. I would be honored to contribute to your project. Looking beautiful.
Neil

Yep, that is it! Wow, that is mighty nice for you to do that for me. At least let me mail you a check back for the cost of mailing. I'll email you with my mailing address. Let me know for sure that you received it.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78397

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Got it Casey. I am in Ore. on business all this weeek. I will get it in the mail this coming week.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78422

Neil wrote:

Got it Casey. I am in Ore. on business all this weeek. I will get it in the mail this coming week.
Neil

Thanks again so much for your generosity! It' will be a nice surprise when it shows up :)

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78549

Okay, finally got it! WooHoo!!! after braking several 1/4" bolts I drilled out the holes and re-tapped to 5/16" I was then able to put full force of my 1/2" drive impact wrench on the puller and tap the edges of the flywheel, just hard enough to "ring it's bell" with all this pressure applied and it finally popped loose! Electric start coming soon :)

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #78853

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Casey
Your wheel/centercap is on its way.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 9 months ago #79179

Neil wrote:

Casey
Your wheel/centercap is on its way.
Neil

I got a nice gift in the mail today! Gonna look great on the wheel. Trying to decide if I'm going to paint it to match the boat or have it refinished.
Attachments:

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 8 months ago #79920

No new pictures to post, but I wanted to give an update on progress. I been working on my power plant, just basic stuff like water pump impeller, new seal behind the prop. and changing the foot oil. This is a little 1988 25hp Johnson that should push the DuraCraft just fine. The boat is only rated for a 25hp rated at the crank anyway and this year model is rated at the prop, so it's a little overrated anyway. As previously mentioned, I installed a flywheel with a ring gear for a starter to convert it to electric start. I'm looking for the starter bracket if anyone has a mid 80's to mid 90's 20hp to 35hp that they are scrapping out. Anyway, that's about it for now!

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 8 months ago #80500

Beautiful boat! What color is that?

My wife LOVES it, so I'm gonna have to copy you..lol.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 8 months ago #80545

Thanks! Imitation is the truest form of flattery LOL :P It's a Diahatsu single stage color with larger metallic flakes than it originally called for, I think it's bright peacock metallic. I had originally picked a nissan color, but they could not mix it in anything but base coat clear coat. I like using BC CC but I did not want to do all the extra painting so they scanned it and came up with the Diahatsu color. I'm on vacation this coming week and the actual code is at work. I'll be glad to give you the paint code, but it will be in a week before I can.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 8 months ago #80553

No rush at all....I need to get my motor and steering squared away before I even fathom painting.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)