Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: emblem plugs?

emblem plugs? 14 years 1 month ago #1775

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5

On my Lone Star, the emblems are pinned to the side of the boat and held with some clever little sleeves that plugs or pins are pushed through. I'd like to remove those emblems to repaint but I wonder if I can get them back on? I wonder if these photos help explain my question?
-David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:emblem plugs? 14 years 1 month ago #1778

Auto parts stores like NAPA can get those for you with no problem. Just keep the old ones or take an emblem with you. They may have to order them, but they should be able to get them for you. You can probably get them through one of your local body shops too.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:emblem plugs? 14 years 1 month ago #1785

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the response, Classic! Gives me the courage to take them off, knowing there's a way to get them back on.

Re:emblem plugs? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2057

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
So I went to NAPA today, with the emblem and some of the nuts that were holding them on. I bought some 1/8 inch tubular nuts, which look like the right shape and size, but, I'm not confiden about the material. They are black coated metal. I asked the guy if he's ever seen them in stainless or aluminum. He says he hasn't. Will these rust?

Re:emblem plugs? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2058

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
So I went to NAPA today, with the emblem and some of the nuts that were holding them on. I bought some 1/8 inch tubular nuts, which look like the right shape and size, but, I'm not confiden about the material. They are black coated metal. I asked the guy if he's ever seen them in stainless or aluminum. He says he hasn't. Will these rust?

Re:emblem plugs? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2077

• abw
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
They will rust but not as quickly as plain steel but I think the originals rusted also. Do you have enough surface area on the lettering to us 3M automotive trim tape and leave the nuts off?
just a thought.

Re:emblem plugs? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2160

If you haven't already refastened your emblems, try pop rivets. Thay make "blind" rivets that don't leak. Look for a fastener store that sells nuts bolts and rivets. The box stores usualy don't have them.
Sorry, I just took another look at the picture, those are post.

Re:emblem plugs? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2164

davidk wrote:

They will rust in time, but you're looking at a long time probably because they are out of the weather for the most part. If you think about how many cars used these clips in the 60's and 70's, for the emblems on the fenders, trunk, etc you'll get an idea of how long they will hold up. The boat manufacturers used the same clips you picked up at the parts store. They never used a stainless or aluimnum version. I don't think they are even avaiable.

I usually paint the interior of my boats after the outer hull and deck are done. If you do that, insert the plugs into the hull before painting. You can paint both from the outside, and from the inside and the emblem will still snap in and hold just fine. And they won't rust near as quick.

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:emblem plugs? 14 years 2 weeks ago #2298

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The tubular nuts I took out of the boat were not rusted after 50 years of service. I was sure they were aluminum until reading the responses here, but today I put the magnet to them and sure enough they stuck. I'm moving on to other things to wonder about. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!
-David

Re:emblem plugs? 13 years 10 months ago #7353

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I'm looking for paint for the interior, to match the color seen at the start of this thread. Any ideas?

Re:emblem plugs? 13 years 10 months ago #7364

i might get flack for this suggestion,but here goes anyway,lol,the paint looks close to garage floor epoxy,with the flakes that you add to it.or you can paint it the main color ,then take the color of the speckles and dip your brush in it,then hold the brush up right in one hand ,then pull back on the bristles and let it fly,it will give you the same effect,just practice on someting else like scrap plywood first.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:emblem plugs? 13 years 10 months ago #7430

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the brave suggestion. : )

If I can't find a good match, I may try that.

Re:emblem plugs? 13 years 7 months ago #12139

As far as the retainers, on one of my boats I used these: www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/catalog/item/568857/6980329.htm
Plus a dab of 4200 sealer at each pin hole. If they rust, I'll just pop on new ones in the future.

I just repainted the inside of a newer aluminum boat, to match the original paint, I used spatter paint, which I found at NAPA. I believe it was meant as trunk paint for old car restoration. Mine was a medium gray with dark spatter, but they had several colors.

Re:emblem plugs? 13 years 7 months ago #12140

As far as the retainers, on one of my boats I used these: www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/catalog/item/568857/6980329.htm
Plus a dab of 4200 sealer at each pin hole. If they rust, I'll just pop on new ones in the future.

I just repainted the inside of a newer aluminum boat, to match the original paint, I used spatter paint, which I found at NAPA. I believe it was meant as trunk paint for old car restoration. Mine was a medium gray with dark spatter, but they had several colors.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)